Sailing Back Home

More than a decade has passed and I haven’t returned to the island I was hailed.  Yes, I was raised in a small town, an island though part of Bicol is situated in the Visayan region.  The longer I am away, the more yearning to revisit my once abode, my bliss.  I am now a stranger to the place I knew so well.  Deep inside, fearful if I still belong to the town life used to revolve.  Since mum passed away, the feeling of an outcast filled in.  I have wandered around looking for “home” but truly, “there’s no place like home”.  My heart wishes for my first home; where memories were still vivid and has held a special site. 



Back at home, a trip to the shoreline is a daily routine; usually to scout for food or simply to gather news.  Among the regular scene were kids brawling for the spilled fish from the net, women cleaning or drying sea foods, men bargaining for the catch, but the looks of frustration on unlucky days are sometimes inevitable.



I can perfectly recall the abundance of sea urchins that can be harvested ashore.  For reasons unknown, I dislike the taste but were mum’s fave.  Other than the uni, picking sea shells is a low tide hobby.  And there are more of the seashore that I so love about.


Fiestas, like in the other provinces, is a precious and most prepared event.  Being the only island barangay in our municipality, our humble town is one of the fiesta patrons highly graced.  People in the town would happily share their feast to whoever guest that comes in.  As an island, the pluvial parade is the most awaited ceremony.  It is the pride of the town and the fete is not complete without joining it.


What I love back home the most is the joys of the seas. The water is everywhere and seemed limitless.  Shorelines were not even called “beach”, it was simply referred as the seashore.  Also, one can freely dive or plunge anytime he desires; there seems to be no rules, not even safety issues.


Life was simple then… electricity was not even needed. On clear night skies, our father would take us to the shore; stargazing was our pastime and our fascination with constellations exists until this days. Orion, Pegasus, the Zodiacs and the countless wishes on shooting stars, we're like playmates then.  Of course we had real friends and had played physical games.  We've had various fun in the banca and even as young kids, we've paddled like a pro. 


We had our share of unfortunate events as we've braced several typhoons, braved gigantic waves, sailed through storms and survived sea accidents.  The most important lesson the islander girl me has cherished is knowing that all trials will pass, no matter how hard.  Faith, trust and courage has been the key and we've made it through the years.

Someday soon, I’ll find my sail home. Old memories will once more come to life and new memories will be formed.  Until then, I’ll keep reminiscing, I’ll keep hoping…

P.S.  All pictures were courtesy of my niece Leah.


This is my entry to the Pinoy Travel Bloggers’ Blog Carnival
for November 2016 with the theme 
“Stories from My Hometown” 

hosted by Celine Reyes of Celineism


24 comments:

  1. Jho, I don't know, but this made me a bit sad. Perhaps because your story echoes mine. I am from Bicol, by virtue of my Mama who, like yours, had also passed away. But Sorsogon, to me feels like home, more than ever, maybe because it reminds me so much of my Mama. And that these days all I wanted is to be reminded of her. I hope you find the time and the courage to sail home and make new memories. But nevertheless, home is wherever the heart is. :)

    Thank you for joining the Blog Carnival! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Celine, i actually had a hard time pulling this off... this has been hidden deep inside for quite some time and finally had this chance to let it fly.

      yes, hope someday i'll find my sail home :)
      i'm a born sailor by the way.. hahaha.

      regards,
      jho

      Delete
  2. I hope one day you sail back home, even for a visit. :) No feeling like returning to your roots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Claire...

      yup, hope this will come true soon :)

      regards,
      jho

      Delete
  3. very informative post for me as I am always looking for new content that can help me and my knowledge grow better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info.landscape construction Calgary

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’m not sure that investing in real estate will relieve job but maybe it’s time for a career and lifestyle change. Little changes here and there that will add up to one big one. such as preparing a home purchase contract.hiring a ghostwriter cos

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been very blessed to meet Mickey and his wife Phyllis, she was so devoted to him, and she cared for him with so much love, in a very long struggle with his health. Mickey was always very gracious to everyone I saw him meet, and his ability to remember details of so many stories and adventures was amazing.Residential HVAC installation Vaughan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Atalaya and San Pedro, La Alqueria is a small and exclusive area in full development. Mainly consisting of modern luxury villas, offering great views and in a peaceful location, its popularity is no surprise. contractors

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very excellent blog post. I am thankful for your blog post. I have found a lot of approaches after visiting your post. Avenue South Residence Core City Centre

    ReplyDelete
  9. Make your home look a lot more spacious by removing any needless junk (hire space for storing when you have to). You'll see a positive change in just how your closet look, plus your garage, deck and toilet. Buyers desire to feel just like they're acquiring sufficient area.Carpet cleaning company

    ReplyDelete
  10. When you use a genuine service, you will be able to provide instructions, share materials and choose the formatting style.local handyman services

    ReplyDelete
  11. A simple design is one way to make your home more classic. I really like your home improvement ideas. That is really helpful to me. Thanks for sharing this.residence pour personne agée laval

    ReplyDelete

  12. Evaluate your plans carefully if you're improving your home to list it for sale. Cutting corners may hurt your prospects rather than helping them. But don't go overboard either.professional painters

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for writing the article,this is really the secret which very few knows thanks for making it public.bristol tn

    ReplyDelete
  14. I’ve been eyeing that Boon Grass drying rack!!!! It looks so functional and visually appealing!! I was just having a discussion with a co-worker a few weeks back on how “bottle washing” was the bane of all spousal arguments – this would definitely help the “discussions” 🙂Carpet and rug cleaning Fayetteville NC

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for another great article. Where else could anyone get that kind of information in such a perfect way of writing? I have a presentation next week, and I am on the look for such information.Canada Toronto

    ReplyDelete
  16. It looks great! Doesn’t it feel good to have it done?? We have frieze carpet in our house and I love it… it feels so good on the toes.Roofing Contractors Sudbury

    ReplyDelete
  17. The happy springs for winter damage repairs this amout soul as home improvement services blog has been sharing about estimating project. You can submit the more customer schedule and improve the products.
    Roofing Contractors Sudbury

    ReplyDelete
  18. The popular saying "Prevention is better than cure" may be applied to cleaning as well, that is, if you don't clean and make your home tidy, you may end up incurring additional costs when your house has been infested by bugs and all sorts of pests. Resulting complications and problems may also extend up to the violation of the building or neighborhood rules. All these problems may be well taken care of by a reliable cleaner or a trustworthy home cleaning company. Maid Service

    ReplyDelete

  19. I think it’s true since it’s such an unusual name. Germanbek is a quirky, mildly, twitchy cheeky kid, making it pretty clear that teenagers are teenagers wherever you are in the world. He would frequently make jokes and pranks during the trip and one of his favorite pastimes was mocking the older wranglers behind their backs.garage door lock repair

    ReplyDelete
  20. Make a correlation among the different statements and waitlist the couple of you find appropriate. Attempt to discover more insights concerning the short recorded credit choices and pick the one that you locate the best. Be that as it may, don't flurry, unwind and search around put forth a few attempts. Your endeavors will reimburse you in future by setting aside your cash.
    Stove Repair Service in Riverside

    ReplyDelete

Follow @mountainsnbeyond

Featured Post

Why I Climb Mountains?

This post was long overdue…. Sometimes in November 2014, I stumbled upon TripAdvisor’s Why I Travel series and it led to a realization of w...

AROUND THE PHILIPPINES

ASIA & BEYOND